VIC – Condensing vent
ICC’s VIC model is a single wall, double wall, or insulated double wall vent system used for condensing and near-condensing appliances. It is tested and listed to UL 1738/ULC S636 standards. The VIC condensing vent can be used for the applications below:
- Category I, II, III, and IV gas appliances with a maximum flue gas temperature of 550° F.
- BH-type gas vents for appliances with a maximum flue gas temperature of 550° F.
- Appliances that produce condensation in the exhaust stream.
The VIC model’s inner liner is built from super-ferritic AL294C-type stainless steel or 444-type stainless steel; both alloys meet the requirements for the UL corrosion resistance test. The exterior wall of the double wall VIC system is made using 430-type stainless steel. The VIC model is offered in the following configurations:
- Single wall: used to connect different appliances together. This system is lightweight and easy to install horizontally. It is recommended to install the VIC single wall vent inside the building or in an environment where the temperature remains above freezing.
- Double wall: the double wall improves heat retention inside the flue, which increases draft strength and can reduce safety clearance to combustibles in some cases. The double wall model also has a lower impact on ambient temperature (in a mechanical room, for example). It is approved for both interior and exterior installations.
- Double wall insulated: this model is the best choice for exterior installations in cold climates. The insulated exterior casing minimizes heat loss and increases draft strength. This model’s inner liner, which measures between 5” and 16” in diameter, is either tungsten arc welded or laser welded – both butt welding techniques. Butt welding lessens the impact on the steel and creates a smooth and corrosion-resistant seam.